Registering a loss

When someone dies, the death has to be registered with a registrar. It is normal procedure to register a death in the area in which the death has occurred. However, if it is more convenient, you can arrange to register in the area where you live.

Most registrars require you to make an appointment. The telephone number of the local registrar can usually be found on the envelope you have been given containing the 'Certificate of Cause of Death'. This document will have been given to you either by the General Practitioner or the hospital authorities where the death occurred. Cobbolds will be happy to advise you on any aspect of the registration procedure.

Read more on locating the contact details of the local registrar.

When you attend at the registrars you should take with you the Certificate of Cause of Death. You will also need the following information:
  • The full name of the person who has died
  • Their full address
  • Details of where the person died
  • Their occupation (if applicable)
If the person who has died is a married woman you will also be asked for:
  • Her maiden name
  • Her husband’s occupation
The following people can register a death:
  • Any relative of the person who has died
  • Any person present at the death
  • Any person who lives in the house where the death occurred
  • The person arranging the funeral
When the registrar has all the details they require they will give you a green certificate. This is a very important document and should be given to us as soon as possible.

If you require copies of the 'Entry of Death' (often called the death certificate) they can be purchased from the registrar, either at the time of registering, or afterwards. You will need a copy for official purposes such as closing a bank account or claiming insurances.

The Work of the Coroner

When someone dies suddenly or unexpectedly the death may be reported to HM Coroner. There will be no certificate of cause of death. Additionally there may be an inquest. The Coroner or the Coroner’s officers will be able to advise you of all the procedures and will also tell you when you can go to the registrars.

Let us know if you need any support with this.
Scroll to Top